The online versions of each entry has a variety of additional resources to help you explore each facet of the Palestinian situation in-depth. You can find a list of the entries on the website.
More has been written about the Israeli-Palestinian conflict than perhaps any other conflict in history. It can be overwhelming to simply figure out where to start learning more. This is a very short list of books, films, websites, etc. that you can use to learn more about the conflict. If you find other resources you’d like people to know about, please share them with your own Kumi Community and with everyone else using the #KumiNow hashtag.
- Ashrawi, Hanna. This Side of Peace.Touchstone, 1996.
- Ateek, Naim. A Palestinian Theology of Liberation: The Bible, Justice, and the Palestine-Israel Conflict. Orbis Books, 2017.
- Berry, M. & Philo, G. Israel and Palestine: Competing Histories (Middle East Studies). Pluto Press, 2006.
- Black, I. Enemies and Neighbours: Arabs and Jews in Palestine and Israel, 1917-2017. Allen Lane, 2017.
- Bunton, M.. The Palestinian-Israeli Conflict: A Very Short Introduction. Oxford University Press, 2013.
- Ehrenreich, Ben. The Way to the Spring: Life and Death in Palestine. Penguin Books, 2016.
- Finkelstein, Norman G. Image and Reality of the Israel-Palestine Conflict. Verso, 2003.
- Golan, Sandy. The Lemon Tree: An Arab, a Jew, and the Heart of the Middle East. Bloomsbury USA, 2007.
- Halevi, Yossi Klein. Letters to My Palestinian Neighbor. HarperCollins, 2018.
- Harris-Gershon, David. What Do You Buy the Children of the Terrorist Who Tried to Kill Your Wife?: A Memoir. Oneworld Publications, 2013.
- Madison, Saree. Palestine Inside Out: An Everyday Occupation. W.W. Norton & Company, 2008.
- Pappé, Ilan. Ten Myths about Israel. Verso Books, 2017.
- Shafir, Gershon. A Half Century of Occupation: Israel, Palestine, and the World’s Most Intractable Conflict. University of California Press, 2017.
- Zaru, Jean. Occupied with Nonviolence: A Palestinian Woman Speaks. Fortress Press, 2008.
Fiction, Poetry, and Graphic Novels
- Abulhawa, Susan. Mornings in Jenin.
- Darwish, Mahmoud. In the Presence of Absence.
- Delisle, Guy. Jerusalem.
- Khalifeh, Sahar. The Inheritance.
- Khoury, Elias. Gate of the Sun.
- Kanafani, Ghassan. Return to Haifa and Other Stories.
- Sacco, Joe. Palestine.
The following documentaries are all readily available for streaming from either Amazon or the iTunes Store. The exceptions are The Stones Cry Out and Where Should the Birds Fly, which are available for purchase on their websites, and Al-Nakba, which is a four-part documentary series from Al Jazeera English that is available on YouTube. It is also available on Al Jazeera’s Palestine Remix site, which includes more than 20 other documentaries: https://interactive.aljazeera.com/aje/palestineremix/films_main.html.
- 5 Broken Cameras
- Al-Nakba (https://youtu.be/H7FML0wzJ6A)
- Disturbing the Peace
- Hope in a Bottle
- Israel Vs Israel
- Occupation 101
- The Ruins of Lifta
- The Stones Cry Out (http://www.thestonescryoutmovie.com)
- Tears of Gaza
- The Wanted 18 (https://vimeo.com/channels/607828/90139356)
- Where Should the Birds Fly (http://whereshouldthebirdsfly.org)
These films should either be available to rent or buy online from Amazon or other services or available on DVD.
- A Bottle in the Gaza Sea
- Divine Intervention
- Laila’s Birthday
- Lemon Tree
- Salt of This Sea
- Under the Same Sun
- Wedding in Galilee
- “Fragmented Lives: Humanitarian Overview 2016” from OCHA: https://www.ochaopt.org/content/fragmented-lives-humanitarian-overview-2016
- “International Law: Israeli Violations and Third Party Responsibility” from PASSIA: http://www.passia.org/publications/107
- “Israel/Palestine Events of 2016” from Human Rights Watch: https://www.hrw.org/world-report/2017/country-chapters/israel/palestine
- “Jerusalem: A City Divided” from Women’s Center for Legal Aid and Counseling: http://www.wclac.org/english/etemplate.php?id=1379
- “Jerusalem: A City on Edge” from Women’s Center for Legal Aid and Counseling: http://www.wclac.org/english/etemplate.php?id=1532
- “Overview of the human rights situation in the Occupied Palestinian Territory from 1 November 2016 to 31 October 2017” from the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights: https://www.ohchr.org/EN/HRBodies/HRC/RegularSessions/Session37/Documents/A_HRC_37_43.docx
- “Palestine (State of) 2016/2017” from Amnesty International: https://www.amnesty.org/en/countries/middle-east-and-north-africa/palestine-state-of/report-palestine-state-of/
- “PASSIA Annual Report 2017: The Year that Was”: http://www.passia.org/publications/286
- “UNRWA in Figures 2017”: https://www.unrwa.org/resources/about-unrwa/unrwa-figures-2017
- “Year-In-Review: Worst Abuses Against Palestinian Children in 2017” from Defense for Children International Palestine: http://www.dci-palestine.org/year_in_review_worst_abuses_against_palestinian_children_in_2017