Week 3: Building Permit Discrimination
Week 3: Building Permit Discrimination
Join us to learn about building permit discrimination in the in East Jerusalem and the West Bank. Our guests will include Jeff Halper, co-founder of ICAHD and Dr. Meir Margalit, Jerusalem city council member and co-founder of ICAHD.
Please register to join us. Here are the details:
Time: Tuesday, January 19, at 6:00 PM East Jerusalem, Palestine time (UTC+2) That’s 8am in Seattle, 10am in Chicago, 11am in New York/Toronto, 4pm in London, and 11pm in Manila.
Meeting ID: 946 7950 2800
More about our guests:
Jeff Halper is a co-founder and former Director of the Israeli Committee Against House Demolitions (ICAHD). He is also a co-founder of the People Yes! Network (TPYN) He is a member of the advisory board to the One State Foundation.
Halper was born in the United States and has lived in Israel since 1973. He is educated as an anthropologist but mostly known as an author, activist and lecturer. He has written several books on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict and is a frequent writer, focusing mainly on nonviolent strategies to solve the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. He supported the two state model until 2012 but since has come to the realization that the one state reality no longer allows for such a solution. In the context of one state Jeff is a proponent of a binational state model.
Dr. Meir Margalit is a human and civil rights activist in Jerusalem. He is a cofounder of ICAHD and CAPI, The Committee for the Advancement of Peace Initiatives. He is currently a member of the Jerusalem City Council, in charge of the East Jerusalem portfolio.
He was born in Argentina and moved to Israel in 1972. During his military service he served in a Jewish settlement in Gaza Strip and was injured in the Yom Kippur War of 1973. During his recovery he began to adopt a radical progressive and pacifist position. He was an elected member of the Jerusalem City Council, representing the Left-Wing Meretz Party between 1998 and 2002. He was elected again for Meretz in 2008, and returned to the city council, Margalit is the author of various books on municipal policy and a frequent speaker and lecturer in many countries around the world.
https://www.aljazeera.com/program/newsfeed/2019/11/19/animation-the-story-of-dr-meir-margalitYou can read his article “Jerusalem as a Non-City” and buy his book, The City of Jerusalem. Please follow him on Facebook and watch this profile of him.
From the Discussion/Chat
- Ghassan Younis video (no link given)
- Jonathan Kuttab interview with Peter Beinart “Beyond the Two State Solution” https://pca.st/9if4w4c0 The book: https://jonathankuttab.org/2020/11/23/beyond-the-two-states-by-jonathan-kuttab/
- Here’s a recent story about Fakhri Abu Diab, who paid a 100,000 shekel fine for building without a permit, only to then be told his house would also be demolished after he spoke out about illegal excavations near Al-Aqsa: https://daysofpalestine.ps/post/15637/The-occupation-exposing-its-crimes-by-demolishing-Palestinians-homes
- Corruption Perceptions Index: https://www.transparency.org/en/cpi/2019/index/nzl
- ICAHD Flyer: https://kuminow.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/Kumi-Now-ICAHD.pdf
- Website: https://icahd.org/
Tent of Nations
- WhatsApp: +972-(0)522 975 985
- Daoud Nassar <email@example.com>
- “The Decolonizing of Palestine Towards a One-State Solution” http://www.ameu.org/Current-Issue/Current-Issue/2021-Volume-55.aspx
- Decolonizing Israel, Liberating Palestine: Zionism, Settler Colonialism, and the Case for One Democratic State by Jeff Halper https://www.plutobooks.com/9780745343419/decolonizing-israel-liberating-palestine/
- January 27th book launch (7pm UK): https://icahd.org/2021/01/07/pluto-live-decolonizing-israel-liberating-palestine-the-launch-of-jeff-halpers-new-book-27-january-2021/
- The People Yes! Network: https://medium.com/the-peoples-yes-network
- “Towards a Global Grassroots Brainstorming” by Jeff Halper https://medium.com/the-peoples-yes-network/towards-a-global-grassroots-brainstorming-d5aec93f5a02
- One State Foundation https://onestatefoundation.org/
- On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jeff.halper.5
Dr. Meir Margarit
- “Jerusalem as a Non-City” by Meir Margalit https://pij.org/articles/1715/jerusalem-as-a-noncity
- The City of Jerusalem by Meir Margalit https://www.amazon.com/City-Jerusalem-Subjugation-Palestinian-Jerusalemites-ebook/dp/B08564498P
- On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/drMeirMargalit/
- Profile of him: https://www.facebook.com/RomaniaPalestineSolidarity/videos/196183388279574