Week 6: Medical Rights Online Gathering
Week 6: Medical Rights
We learned about the medical rights of Palestinians in Gaza and the West Bank. Our guest was Fikr Shalltoot of Medical Aid for Palestinians (MAP).
Fikr’s slides from her presentation.
More about our guests:
Fikr Shalltoot works at Medical Aid for Palestinians (MAP) as Director of the Gaza office. She was trained as a neonatal nurse and then studied Public Health and Health Behavior in the United States. Before joining MAP I worked for UNFPA and Save the Children and taught at the School of Public Health at Al Quds University.
She was born and raised in AL Maghazi Camp in the middle of Gaza, but currently lives in Gaza city.
She says that, “Through my work, I gained experience in the health sector and the key health actors and stakeholders and participated in developing the national health strategies.”
You can find MAP on their website at https://www.map.org.uk/. And follow them on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/MedicalAidforPalestinians/, Twitter at https://twitter.com/MedicalAidPal, and YouTube at https://www.youtube.com/user/MedicalAidPalestine.
From the discussion/chat
- in the USA we have a not for profit organization that supports the PMRS work www.friendsofpmrs.org
- Today Churches for Middle East Peace is having a twitter action asking the Biden administration to release funds. Please join! It will start in a an hour (1-2 EST). Here are the details: https://cmep.org/event/day-of-action-restore-aid-to-palestine/
- WHO monthly reports: http://www.emro.who.int/pse/publications-who/monthly-referral-reports.html
- WHO individual patient stories: http://www.emro.who.int/pse/information-resources/who-publications.html
- The case of 10 year old Miral, who died of cancer in March 2020: https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/.premium-gazan-girl-died-after-israel-denied-her-parents-visit-she-won-t-be-the-last-1.8631960
- MAP position paper “Equal Access to COVID-19 Vaccines: Who Is Responsible in the Occupied Palestinian Territory?” https://www.map.org.uk/downloads/map-position-paper—equal-access-to-covid-19-vaccines-.pdf